Created by California based artist, Clark Mitchell, Gliding is an envigorating pastel painting of a sublime shoreside of a pond featuring an enigmatic array of greens, blues, violets, and oranges, with some palm trees, ducks and swans in the middle ground.
This piece measures to 25 1/2" x 17 3/4" framed. Frame is included in the price.
Framing options are available if desired, contact Colibri Art & Framing for additional information.
Gliding - Clark Mitchell
Growing up in the shadow of the Rockies, Clark Mitchell very early discovered a love of the natural world. Given a set of fine old German pastels by his father when quite young, he quickly embraced the medium for its ease of handling, brilliance of color and portability. He received a bachelor’s degree in art from Colorado College in the seventies and moved to San Francisco to continue his studies at the Academy of Art College. Through personal exploration as well as study with artists Albert Handell, Skip Whitcomb, Michael Lynch and Bill Hook, Mitchell has developed the talent to create both tightly rendered scenes as well as looser, more abstract suggestions.
In order to fully immerse himself in the countryside he loved to portray, Mitchell left San Francisco with his partner over thirty years ago and moved north to the beautiful Sonoma County wine country. Painting expeditions throughout the state as well as across the country continue to provide challenge as well as inspiration.
- 2005 "Best of Show" award at the Laguna Plein Air Invitational.
- 2011 "Best of Show" in the Maui Plein Air Painting Invitational.
- 1993 Cover artist for American Artist’s March issue.
- 2008 Chosen as poster artist for the Sedona Plein Air Festival.
- 2009 Cover artist of Southwest Art’s annual landscape issue.
- 2011 Cover artist for The Pastel Journal’s June issue.